Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I guess I'm doing okay afterall!

I have been struggling with my feelings of inadequacy as a parent lately and I have really felt like I have been less than a good mom. But Sunday, after spending an entire week together 24/7 with my entire family, all of my children expressed the desire to stay home with me and not go back to school the next day. Now I am not so naive to think I was their soul reason, I mean weigh the options, school or vacation? What I did feel was their sincere desire to be with me and that they like to be around me and that I am not doing such a bad job as a parent after all!

This has caused me to also reflect on a conversation with my 15 year old who had been so busy with school and sports and church activities that I had hardly seen him the whole week. When we finally had a few minutes together he put his arms around my shoulder and said, "mom I've missed you, I have been so busy I've hardly seen you this whole week." That was a tender mercy, this 15 year that is pulling away and becoming a man, is still able to recognize our relationship and that I am a part of his life.

My little girl that said "I never want to leave you, I love spending time with you." My five year old that clings to my neck for dear life, not wanting me to leave him at school after a 2 week break. My 14 year old that comes to my room and just wants to talk, even if it is sometimes way past time to be asleep. Or my 10 year old that still just runs in for a hug every so often.

I guess if my kids still want to be near me I am not as bad as I thought. Today, I am grateful for the tender mercy from my heavenly father letting me know you are doing all right. The tender mercy given me through loving children, that teach me how to show my feelings. How humbled and grateful I am for each of them.

6 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

That's awesome! I think you're a great mom! I don't know how you do all you do and still stay sane!

Jenna said...

I so agree with you, Lori! And from someone who knows you, you need not fear! You are a stellar example of motherhood. Keep up the good work. Your children are a testament of your devotion and sacrifice and love. And you're an example to me!

Saint Holiday said...

Lori!
Your eyes are open. This is a gift of the Spirit. You are seeing things as they really are. You recognize in your children their validation of you as a powerful and effective mother. Your love is reflected back to you. Thank you for sharing this experience.

Annette Lyon said...

Beautiful thoughts. I think all mothers get too hard on themselves at times. I too have had moments recently when my children have wanted to sit with me, saying they just want to spend time with me--doing nothing but cuddling. Tender mercies indeed.

Jenna said...

Where have you gone, my Lori? I keep checking your blog, just in case...

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the whole purpose behind your blog. You've caused many memories to flood back of my sweet nephews and nieces and their impact on my life.

About Me

Just trying to get me figured out.